“Organizational culture is the behavior of humans within an organization and the meaning that people attach to those behaviors. Culture includes the organization’s vision, values, norms, systems, symbols, language, assumptions, beliefs, and habits…” – Wikipedia
When exploring the culture of an organization, within the consulting team or with clients, it can be helpful to inquire as follows:
1. What are the part of our Organizational Culture?
- Behavioral Norms
- Imbedded Unconscious Actions
- The Unspoken “Rules”
- How Decisions Are Reached
- Who Leads and Who Follows
- Values and Principles
- Founder’s Ideas
2. What parts of our culture serve us well and should be kept?
3. What are this organization’s Sacred Cows?
4. What do we need to CHANGE and leave behind for this organization to grow?
Reproduced with permission from Ness Consulting, 2009.